The Center for Wildlife Education offers the use of its facilities to the public (both during and after regular operating hours). The physical facilities (18 acres and two buildings) were built in 1997 and are of very high quality. Two buildings are suitable for rental and can be grounded with birds on display. The facility ranks high on a national scale of Nature Centers and is an outstanding example of environmental education and green space preservation within a university campus.
Use of the Center for Wildlife Education is by reservation only through the Center’s Administrative Coordinator, and all requests require approval by the Assistant Director of the Center for Wildlife Education.
- Lecture Hall – The Lecture Hall is a spacious and bright room, remodeled in November 2006, and is conducive to meetings, speakers, discussion groups, etc. The lighting is very effective, and the acoustics are pleasing. Approximately 75 chairs are available, as well computer hook-up and Wi-Fi.
- Restrooms – Two large restrooms are located within the central building. Cleanliness is of supreme importance and is maintained very well in these facilities. Additional restroom facilities are available at the Campground located directly behind the Ecology Pavilion.
- Ecology Pavilion – *Our Pavilion is currently under renovation and closed for use until further notice. In a more rustic setting, the Pavilion is located outside of the Center’s central building. This is a covered area that is pleasant for any type of social gathering. Approximately 15 picnic tables (seating eight people each) are available. Restroom facilities are available at the Campground located directly behind the Ecology Pavilion.
- Boardwalk – A scenic boardwalk winds through the grounds of The Center for Wildlife Education. Native habitats of Georgia can be observed. Upon request, the birds can be placed out on display.
Program Options Available
Programs can be made available during the rental of the Wildlife Center facilities and include:
- Birds on Display – Native birds of Georgia will be displayed in their natural habitats along the nature walk. Lighting is available for evening events. The display is for a period of two hours.
- Wildlife Program – A wildlife program featuring birds, reptiles, and mammals will be presented. Experienced staff will fly several species of birds of prey, and explain the various adaptations that make this group of birds so intriguing. The program lasts approximately 45-minutes.
Facility Rental Guidelines
- Reservations for facility rental must be made through Christel Monk by calling 912-478-0831 or by email at email@example.com.
- In compliance with current University policy, all catering has to be requested through University Catering Services.
Caterer: Georgia Southern University Catering Services, Phone: 912-478-5073
- For alcohol-related events, an alcohol permit form must be completed and signed. University Catering Services will supply the necessary bartender services and the requestor will be required to pay an hourly bartending fee. An additional charge will be assessed for required security as indicated by Campus Security.
- A Georgia Southern University Wildlife Center employee must be present during all hours of the facility rental.
- If birds are on display, there is a limited time period of two hours.
- It is permissible for chairs and tables to be rearranged. However, they must be placed back into their original positions at the end of the event.
- It is permissible to decorate the facilities. However, at the end of the event all decorations must be removed.
- If additional equipment is required, it is the responsibility of the person making the reservation to supply this equipment.
- All functions must have a specified start and end time (please include time for set-up and clean-up when requesting a specific start and end time).
- No animals are allowed on the premises.
- All children must be accompanied by a supervising adult.
- Cancellations must be made 3 days prior to the reservation. All cancellations not made 3 days prior to an event may be subject to a $50 cancellation fee.
- Users are responsible for clean-up of the facilities upon completion.
- Users are expected to vacate the facilities within one half hour after the termination of an event.
- Per-hour rental fees apply to set-up and breakdown times.
Prices For Facility Rental
For-Profit, Non-University related groups interested in renting facilities at The Center for Wildlife, the fees are as follows (minimum 2 hours on all rentals):
- Pavilion – $150 per hour
- Lecture Hall – $150 per hour
- Wetland Preserve – $150 per hour
- Campground/Playground for events – $150 per hour
- Birds on Display (for 2 hours) – Additional fee of $300
- Wildlife Program – Additional fee of $500
* NOTE: University Departments, Student Organizations, and Non-profit organizations receive a discount on facility rentals. Please call for discounted rental fees.
Reserving the Facilities
Last updated: 1/5/2024