Barbara W Bitter Scholarship
This scholarship has been established in honor of Ms. Barbara W. Bitter, former head of the Learning Support Department at Georgia Southern University. She was known around the state for tenacity and fighting for students she believed were underprepared or underrepresented and deserved a chance in college. She retired from Georgia Southern University in 1989.
The scholarship is funded through contributions to the Academic Success Center Foundation Account (GS0133). To contribute to the scholarship click here.
Students selected as “Barbara W. Bitter Scholars” will receive a stipend of $500. The non-renewable stipend will be disbursed during spring semester.
- Applicant must have completed at least one semester of college
- Applicant must be a current Georgia Southern Student (full or part-time)
- Applicant must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Applicant must demonstrate good character, high motivation and strong academic potential for achieving a college degree
- Evaluation forms from TWO professors, except KINS, are required
- Finalists will meet with the selection committee for an interview
Preference will be given to students who meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Taken at least one Learning Support class
- Single parent
- Child of divorced or deceased parent(s)
- A legal resident of Georgia
- Financial need
- Enrolled part-time (less than 12 hours)
Please complete the application and essay by Tuesday, April 21, 2020, at 9:00 am. Students are responsible for reminding professors to submit their evaluation form online. Share the following link with your professors to complete your evaluation: https://forms.gle/LmJwv3H3RTUZSB3N6
Questions should be addressed to:
Dr. Theresa Beebe Novotny
Last updated: 3/31/2020