Scholarships and Giving
Barbara W. Bitter Scholarship
This scholarship has been established in honor of Ms. Barbara W. Bitter, former head of the Learning Support Department at Georgia Southern University. She was known around the state for tenacity and fighting for students she believed were underprepared or underrepresented and deserved a chance in college. She retired from Georgia Southern University in 1989.
The recipient will be awarded a stipend of $500, which will be automatically dispersed to the recipient’s account.
- Applicant must have completed at least one semester of college
- Applicant must be a current Georgia Southern Student (full or part-time)
- Applicant must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Applicant must demonstrate good character, high motivation, and strong academic potential for achieving a college degree
Preference will be given to applicants who meet one or more of the following eligibility requirements:
- Taken at least one Learning Support class
- Single parent
- Child of divorced or deceased parent(s)
- A legal resident of Georgia
- Financial need
- Enrolled part-time (less than 12 hours)
- Completion of scholarship application and essay
- Submission of Professor Recommendation Form from TWO professors (except KINS)
- Finalists will meet with the selection committee for an interview
The application for the Barbara W. Bitter Scholarship Application is due by Wednesday, March 29, 2023, by 11:59 PM.
If you have questions or concerns in the meantime, please contact Dr. Theresa Beebe Novotny, Coordinator of Testing Services for the Academic Success Center, at email@example.com or 912-478-5415.
Through the generous donations of Georgia Southern University faculty, staff, students, and community members, we are pleased to offer a Tutorial Scholarship. This scholarship is awarded to an exceptional Academic Success Peer Tutor who demonstrates continued dedication to assisting their peers in their academic journey towards success.
The recipient will be awarded $250 in the form of a scholarship, which will be automatically applied to the recipient’s account.
Eligibility requirements for the Spring 2023 scholarship are listed below:
- The applicant must be a current Peer Tutor (Spring 2023) with the Academic Success Center.
- The applicant must be a returning Georgia Southern student for Fall 2023. Graduating seniors are not eligible unless they will be returning to Georgia Southern for graduate school in Fall 2023.
- Completion of scholarship application
- Response to essay prompts
The Scholarship Committee will evaluate applicants based on the following criteria:
- Character: A consistent demonstration of respect, empathy, humility, maturity, and generosity.
- Leadership: A relentless determination to go above and beyond the call of duty to impact change.
- Scholarship: A dedication to learning and a passion for sharing knowledge.
- Service: A commitment to serving the community.
The application for the Spring 2022 Tutorial Scholarship is closed. Please check back in August 2022 for deadlines, application details, and more.
If you have questions or concerns in the meantime, please contact the Academic Success Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 912-478-5371.
Giving to the ASC
The Academic Success Center supports Georgia Southern University students on the Statesboro, Savannah, and Liberty Campuses through consultations and workshops, learning support program, peer mentor program, peer tutoring, success coaching, and testing services. By contributing to the Academic Success Center, you can pay it forward to help develop leaders in our community through scholarships and programming.
What do the foundation accounts fund?
Academic Success Center (GS0133) funds the Barbara W. Bitter Scholarship (a $500 scholarship), student and staff development activities, and recognition initiatives.
Tutorial Scholarship (GS0214) provides $250 scholarships to current Academic Success Center Peer Tutors who have excelled in their role as a Peer Tutor.
Future Fundraising Goals:
- Increase both the Barbara W. Bitter Scholarship & Tutorial Scholarship recipient award amounts
- Increase capacity for additional scholarship recipients for both scholarships
- Create a fund to support students’ future testing requirements such as covering full or partial scholarships to take graduate school entrance exams or certification exams.
Last updated: 5/16/2022