Comments from Interns

Georgia Southern’s Legislative Interns continue to boast about their experiences in Washington D.C. and Atlanta, GA. Here are comments from some of our Spring and Summer students about their recent internship experience.

“I volunteered to work on the weekend of the Presidential Inauguration at my office to help the Senator hand out tickets to the historic event. Without anticipating anything for my service, the Senator also provided my with the opportunity to attend the Presidential Inauguration. Amazing! I recently got a full time job in a law firm in Atlanta and during every interview I had the past month everyone was impressed by my internship and it seemed to standout on my résumé!” – Erica Docekal (US Senator Johnny Isakson)

“The most memorable part of my experience at the state Capitol was getting to personally escort the King family to the Martin Luther King Day ceremony!” – Kathrine Steeves (Governor Nathan Deal)

” I would advise students to choose a semester long internship during the Fall or Spring. It’s the only way to truly delve into the experience. I got to attend the largest fundraiser of the year in March and sat just a short distance from Speaker Boehner, Representative Paul Ryan, and my Congressman – who all spoke at the event.” – Amber Porter (US Representative Lynn Westmoreland)

“I was able to shadowing the Legislative Assistant for Health throughout my internship and it was great! She included me in all of her meetings with the Congressman, allowed me to voice my opinions on the subjects discussed, and allowed me to ask questions at the end. I can now say that I know more Public Health policy, a tool that will help me get far in my future career.” – Kandyce Reeves (US Representative David Scott)

“One of the greatest opportunities I had was to sit in one of the House of Representatives members’ chairs. It was amazing to sit in the same spot where the representatives sat to guide us through more than 150 years of American history and to to see things from their point of view.” – James Horne (US Representative Phil Gingrey)

“I am an Information Systems major, and while I did not use my studies every day, I still learned a lot about the world, the people living in it, and most importantly, myself. Those experiences and interactions were worth more than anything.” – Armond Snowden (GA Senators Ed Harbison and Lester Jackson)

The Legislative Internship experience is open to Georgia Southern students from all majors and have completed a minimum 48 hours of academic credit prior to their semester internship. To learn more about the program and application process visit GeorgiaSouthern.edu/LegislativeInternships.

Share:

Posted in Uncategorized