Skip to main content

Visa FAQs

What financial documentation do I need to provide?
All students going through the visa process are required to submit documentation to prove sufficient financial resources for their first year of study at Georgia Southern, and potentially the source of funds for subsequent years.  This documentation MUST be submitted to the Office of International Programs and Services before a Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 is issued.  For more information about specific financial requirements and documents, please visit the specific pages for the F-1 and J-1 visa processes.
Do I need to make an appointment at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy?
Yes.  The only exception made is for students traveling on Canadian or Bahamian passports.  Canadian and Bahamian citizens may apply for their F-1 visas at their Port of Entry to the United States.  Canadian citizens do not need to apply for J-1 visas for short-term study in the U.S.  All other document requirements remain the same and must be provided at the U.S. Border.
Can I transfer my F-1 status from another school?
Yes.  F-1 status can be transferred between institutions.  There are different instructions and deadlines for this process that you should be aware of.  Carefully read our instructions on transferring your F-1 status.
How can I pay the I-901 (SEVIS) fee?
After your form I-20 or form DS-2019 has been issued, we will send you an email message containing the information you will need to pay the I-901 (SEVIS) fee. This fee must be paid at least three days before your visa appointment, or entry to the U.S. if a visa is not required.  When paying the fee online, print at least two receipts.  Take the receipt (Form I-797) with you to your visa appointment and keep it permanently with your I-20 or DS-2019 forms.
Where can I find the forms I need to submit to Georgia Southern?
All forms can be found on the Applying for an 1-20/DS-2019 page.  Be sure to read all financial documentation instructions very carefully and ask for assistance if you are uncertain about the requirements.
I am a Canadian Citizen. Do I still need a J-1 visa and DS-2019?
Citizens of Canada do not need to apply for a J-1 visa. However, you will still need to have a DS-2019 issued to you by Georgia Southern University. You will need to take your DS-2019, proof of payment of the I-901 (SEVIS) fee, and financial documentation with you to the border or airport when you enter the United States.
Where do I send my documents?
Students seeking an F-1 visa should use the mailing information provided below to send their financial and SEVIS documentation to the Office of International Programs and Services (Attn: Tanya Brakhage).  Exchange students seeking a J-1 visa are encouraged to provide the required documentation as part of their entire exchange program application.  Instructions for this can be found on the  Exchange Student Information page.  They can be submitted to the same address (Attn: Dr. Mertz-Weigel)

Post & First Class (Airmail): P.O. Box 8106, Statesboro, GA, 30460 U.S.A.
FedEx/UPS/DHL (Shipping): 261 Forest Drive, Veazey Hall, Suite 2021, Statesboro, GA, 30458 U.S.A.

I still have questions.  Can I ask someone?
Of course!  First check the Study in the States website for your answers, and then contact us if you’d like.  Please contact Ms. Tanya Brakhage, Immigration Specialist (+1-912-478-7435).

The U.S. Department of State also provides easy access to U.S. Embassies, Consulates, and Diplomatic Missions abroad that can provide up to date information on F-1 and J-1 visa requirements.

Last updated: 12/4/2018