Skip to main content

Employment, OPT, and CPT

The immigration regulations about employment are complex. Be sure to carefully review the regulations so that you do not violate any laws or start unauthorized employment. Unauthorized employment of any kind is a serious violation of F-1 or J-1 status, so it is important to learn what employment is allowed before you consider a potential job.

On-Campus Employment

F-1 students do not require a special employment authorization document. J-1 students, however, do need work authorization from a Responsible Officer or Alternate Responsible Officer (RO or ARO).

Note: F-1 and J-1 students can work a maximum of 20 hours per week on campus. See Georgia Southern’s Student Employment Center for on-campus opportunities.

Learn more about obtaining your Social Security Number.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Economic Hardship Employment

In instances where USCIS determines that a student faces financial hardship due to unforeseeable factors beyond their control, a student may be authorized to pursue off-campus unemployment.  If a student believes they have a case, they should work closely with their assigned International Student Advisor to submit an application to USCIS for Severe Economic Hardship Employment.Economic Hardship Employment

Last updated: 11/27/2018