Camp Blue Skies at Camp Twin Lakes 2020
Program Dates: Sunday, March 15 to Friday, March 20, 2020
Application and Payment Deadline: TBA
To Apply, Click Here: Camp Blue Skies at Camp Twin Lakes Application. See note on applicants at bottom of page. APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED.
All applicants must complete this form and upload it into the application: Camp Twin Lakes Staff Health History There is a link for the upload within the application form.
To Make Payments, Click Here (you will need to click to the Camp Twin Lakes option) Please note the payment deadline is TBA
The University Honors Program is sponsoring an Alternative Break Trip for the upcoming March 2020 Spring Break at Camp Twin Lakes in Rutledge, GA. Camp Twin Lakes is a network of camps for children and families with serious illnesses, disabilities, and other challenges. Participants in this Alternative Break Trip will work with the staff at Camp Twin Lakes and the staff and volunteers at Camp Blue Skies, a camp for adults with developmental disabilities. Students will have roles as cabin counselors and activity leaders. Read about Camp Twin Lakes at http://www.camptwinlakes.org/ and about Camp Blue Skies at http://www.campblueskies.org/
Participants will be led by Dr. Jerri Kropp, professor of child and family development, Dr. Brent Wolfe, professor of recreation and tourism management, Mr. Dan Matthews, chief operations officer at Camp Twin Lakes, and Mr. Richard Sesler, director of Camp Blue Skies.
Watch our video about this experience:
Dates for Camp and Meetings:
Leave campus 12:00 noon to arrive at Camp Twin Lakes by 3:00 p.m. on Sunday, March 15, and return evening Friday, March 20, 2020.
Please note: There are several mandatory pre-trip, in-trip, and post-trip meetings. Students who participate on the trip must attend all meetings.
- TBA, 6:00-9:00 p.m. at Eidson House. At this meeting participants will learn about Camp Twin Lakes and Camp Blue Skies. Pizza and drinks will be provided.
- TBA, at Camp Twin Lakes. This will be an orientation at the camp and students will meet representatives from Camp Twin Lakes and Camp Blue Skies. Students will get a tour of the camp, have meals, and go through on-site volunteer orientation to prepare for the week in March. We will leave campus Friday afternoon and return by Saturday mid-late afternoon.
- TBA, 6:00-9:00 p.m at Eidson House. This meeting is the final meeting before camp. In addition to discussing camp and what to expect, we will finalize transportation plans and packing lists.
- All students MUST attend daily check-in meetings during the week of camp. These will take place after lunch.
- TBA, 6:00-9:00 p.m. at Eidson House. This is the first of three debriefing meetings after camp. (Potluck dinner to be arranged.)
- TBA, 6:00-9:00 p.m. at Eidson House. This is the second of three debriefing meetings after camp. (Potluck dinner to be arranged.)
- TBA, 6:00-9:00 p.m. Cookout at Dr. Brent Wolfe’s house. Final wrap up and fun! Details forthcoming.
Participants will stay in cabins at Camp Twin Lakes.
Students will have to transport themselves to Rutledge, GA, a three-hour drive away. Carpooling will be arranged for on-site training and for the week of camp.
Meals are covered at the camp.
Cost: $175 covers lodging and meals at the camp, the meals and lodging at the overnight training, and dinner at the first meeting on campus. Full payment is due with application by TBA. (If you are not chosen from the trip, refunds will be made immediately. If you are selected for the trip but withdraw, no refund will be made.)
Application Deadline: TBA. Application includes health form and full payment of $175. Students will be notified of acceptance by Late December.
Please note: We are seeking a variety of students across majors and years as well as a good mix of new students and returners. Previous experience on this trip or with adults with developmental disabilities is not necessary. And previous experience on the trip is not a guarantee of selection this year. This trip can take a maximum of 20 students, but organizers may select fewer.
For more information, contact Dr. Francis Desiderio at firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: 9/9/2019