Peers are often the most effective educators. As such, peer education is a valuable tool for increasing student success through social and academic mentoring.
Peer leaders are undergraduate students who are hired and trained to serve as mentors and role models to engage incoming first-year students as they transition to Georgia Southern; help first-year students acclimate to college life; serve as an additional resource for FYE 1220 instructors; and support the Office of First- and Second-Year Programs.
Additionally, peer leaders will:
- Develop and articulate transferable skills appropriate to personal and professional goals.
- Enhance communication, presentation, and problem-solving skills.
- Gain valuable leadership experience.
- Establish positive relationships with fellow students, faculty, and staff while serving as a vital member of the University community.
Positions are available for Armstrong, Liberty, and Statesboro campuses.
Peer Leaders are expected to:
- Put aside racial, sexual, and personal bias in order to meet first-year student needs
- Help first-year students acclimate to college life by providing a safe, accepting, and helpful environment
- Use positive peer influence to promote a healthy, supportive, and respectful educational environment
- Demonstrate appropriate behaviors inside and outside of the classroom
- Help students reach their academic, social, and personal goals by referring them to appropriate campus resources and professionals based on individual needs
- Complete 15 hours of peer mentor training
- Weekly communication with assigned students
- Refer students to appropriate campus resources
- Assist in program planning
- Meet with assigned FYE 1220 instructor AT LEAST once before the end of the current semester to complete the Peer Leader/Faculty Agreement
- Attend ALL class sessions of assigned FYE 1220 section
- Set regular meetings with assigned instructor during the fall semester go discuss and prepare for class
All applicants must
- Complete the online job application found on Georgia Southern University’s Careers site
- Connect with two Georgia Southern University staff/faculty and request that they complete this recommendation form on your behalf
- Complete this form as consent and approval for our department to verify a clear judicial record status with the Dean of Students office
All application requirements must be complete by February 14, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
If you have any questions regarding the application process or eligibility requirements, please contact
Last updated: 1/19/2021