Conversations with Professors
Sunday, August 18, 2019, 3:30-4:45
All students new to college are enrolled into a section of Conversations with Professors, which meets the day before classes start, Sunday, August 18, at 3:30. It will appear on your schedule as “FYE 1000.” Just view your “Concise Student Schedule” in WINGS for your room information. Allow a few extra minutes to find your classroom. Get ready for your first class!
When leaving your Conversations with Professors session, you should:
- Understand how to approach the first week of classes, such as understanding the importance of:
- The syllabus and knowing how to read one;
- Settling on a course schedule no later than the last day of drop/add and preferably well before then;
- Appreciate some basic aspects of the student-faculty relationship, such as:
- Faculty care deeply that you learn the material in their classes and will go to great lengths to help you master the material, provided that you demonstrate that you are willing to apply yourself and work hard; and,
- Like students, individual faculty members differ in their rules and expectations. It’s your responsibility to know what each of your professors expects (see that syllabus!).
You’ll also have the opportunity to ask questions. Even if you don’t have any yourself, you’ll find that the ones others in your session ask may be things you wondered yourself. Come ready to discuss!
Last updated: 6/27/2019