Teaching with Folio Guides
Teaching with Folio is a faculty resource to guide you in using Folio to support instruction in all modalities.
If you need assistance applying the tutorials to your course, submit a Help Ticket: Faculty Center Teaching Services Request (select Faculty Center).
Folio Learning Path (FLP): This self-paced tutorial is designed to provide lessons on navigating and using Folio tools and concepts. This course can be taken as a stand-alone or as the prerequisite for the Teaching Online Courses Workshop (TOC). This course contains hands-on activities to practice Folio tools.
Register for the Folio Learning Path (FLP). This is scheduled to be implemented in SP2024.
Register for the Teaching Online Courses Workshop (TOC)
Getting Started: Accessing Folio
Announcements and Emails
Instructors can post important announcements or communicate course updates using the Announcements tool in Folio.
Learners can use the Assignment tool to upload and submit work directly to an assignment folder in Folio, eliminating the need to email the assignment to the instructor. The Assignment tool has the ability to accept multiple submission types such as uploaded files, online text entries, and even record in-class work. Instructors can also set up individual or group assignment folders, associate rubrics, evaluate submissions, and leave feedback.
- Creating Assignment Folders
- Creating Assignment Folders for Individuals in Groups
- Attach a Rubric to an Assignment – Video
Content pages or topics are built on HTML; these web pages (HTML) are the ideal file type for delivering content in Folio. HTML-built pages can be accessed from any device that has internet access. These HTML-built pages offer significant benefits over other document types – particularly the ability to read and watch content on mobile technologies easily.
- Activate and Deactivate a Folio Course
- Intelligent Agents
- Replacement Strings – Replacement Strings allow you to personalize the Intelligent Agent (creating an instructor presence)
Google Doc – Replacement Strings for Intelligent Agents
- Copy an Intelligent Agent
- Release Conditions
Discussions are an important part of developing critical thinking skills. Discussion boards are also used to enhance teaching and learning in various contexts. Use the activities and resources on this page to use the Folio discussions tool and learn how to create and manage discussions in your course.
- Discussion Forums
- Discussion Topics
- Create a Discussion Post
- Grading a Discussion Post
- Reply to a Discussion Post
- Restoring a Deleted Discussion Forum or Topic
- Viewing Posted Discussions
- Folio Template Installation Demo Video
- How to Edit Template Pages
- Accessibility Guidelines Manual
- Open template web pages with the HTML editor
- Edit text with the HTML editor
- Place an image on a web page
- Embed a YouTube video on a web page
- Create a web link on a web page
- Create new template pages to a module (without overwriting previous content)
- Review how modules are managed and rename Module 1 to describe the instructional topic you will cover.
Google and Folio
Grade Book Essentials
The area in which student grades are managed is called Grades. When you click on Grades from the navbar you will be given two options;
- Class Progress: Students and instructors can view student progress and course completion.
- Grades: This allows you to create and set up your grade book and post student grades and feedback.
- Automatically Calculating Grade Average
- Changing Grading Systems
- Creating Grade Categories
- Creating Grade Items
- Disassociation and Deleting Grade Items
- Dropping Lowest Grade Items
- Entering Grades Manually
- Releasing Final Grades
- Setting Up a Grade Book Using the Setup Wizard
Group activities recognize the value of collaboration, active learning, and social interaction in education. It aims to create an inclusive and dynamic learning environment that prepares students for real-world challenges and equips them with essential skills for future endeavors.
Import/Export/Copy Course Content
- Copying Course Content from Semester to Semester
- Copying Specific Content and Files
- Exporting and Importing Course Content
- Exporting Select Course Content
- Importing Course Content with Zip Files
The Quiz tool in Folio enables you to create and manage points-measured assessments. You can use the quiz tool to help evaluate the learning progress.
- Creation and Setup
- Creating Different Question Types
- Publishing Quiz Grades
- Resetting a Quiz Attempt
- Restoring a Deleted Quiz
- Setting up a Question Pool Quiz
- Setting up Quizzes for Individuals in Groups
Quiz – Management
- Editing Quiz Questions
- Enabling Respondus LockDown Browser
- Force Submitting a Quiz
- Granting Special Access
Quiz – Question Library
Quiz – Set Display Options on Quiz Results
- Display Options: Let Students See Their Results
- Setting up Quiz Submission Views
- Create Additional Views
Last updated: 1/18/2024