Georgia Southern Faculty Development Awards
The Faculty Senate’s Faculty Development Committee (FDC) is pleased to announce the availability of funding in support of faculty development activities by faculty members. Funded by Georgia Southern University, the programs are designed to provide time and resources for the enhancement of the teaching-learning process with emphasis directed toward classroom instruction.
Requests may include:
- Conference cost, including registration and travel
- Instructional supplies, materials, or equipment
- Submissions are reviewed by the FDC in a blind review process.
- Proposals must meet all of the stated guidelines.
- Omit names or initials of any associated persons, including students from the proposal to maintain the blind review process.
Award applications are reviewed and typically awarded twice per academic year. Applications for items with a Spring date can be submitted the during both the Fall and Spring proposal times. Due to reimbursement requirements, applications for items with a Fall Date should be submitted during Fall proposal time. Because of the budget cycle, only expenses that can be prepaid by June 1, 2024 will be considered for activities.
- Proposal Deadline: October 1, 2023
- Reviewed in October
- Activity and/or payment takes place between September 1 – June 1
- Proposal Deadline: December 31, 2023
- Reviewed in January
- Activity and/or payment must take place between January 1 – June 1
- Proposal Deadline: TBD
- Reimbursement Request Deadline: 45 days after the item or event, or by June 1, whichever is sooner.
- Funding Limit: $2500
- Projects may be partially or fully funded.
- Applicants are responsible for itemizing and justifying each expense on the budget.
- Requests for salary stipends will not be funded in this call.
- Requests for travel funds will be allowed per USG travel policy.
- Funding will only cover expenses as approved in the proposal and cannot be diverted.
- Full-time faculty members are eligible.
- Members of the FDC are not eligible for awards.
- Limit one proposal per faculty member per academic year.
- Applicants may request funding for only one destination, event, or project per academic year.
- Applicants may request funding only for themselves.
- Faculty with accepted proposals will submit a final report of activity.
- Activity should take place between September 1 – May 31.
If applying to purchase technology, email firstname.lastname@example.org with a quote from IT Services to indicate the technology would be approved for use. We recommend explaining the need to purchase the technology in a plain, accessible manner without jargon to ensure all committee members have a full understanding of why it is necessary.
The application form includes the following prompts:
- Describe in detail information about the conference or project. Include learning outcomes for projects.
- Describe how this activity will contribute to your professional development as a teacher and/or teacher-scholar. Identify how the activity will fill professional gaps or address a professional need.
- Describe how this activity will strengthen the program/department/college’s ability to support student success and/or how it aligns with one of the university’s major initiatives.
- Budget Narrative – provide a clear and specific explanation or justification of each item.
Please note that the receipt of any award used for the development of creative and scholarly works and new materials, devices, processes, or other inventions which may have commercial potential is governed by the Georgia Southern University Intellectual Property Policy. University personnel are required to provide the Provost with a project disclosure on forms provided by the Office of Research Services and Sponsored Programs.
Last updated: 11/1/2023