Governor’s Teaching Fellows
The Governor’s Teaching Fellows (GTF) program is designed for faculty members who teach at accredited public or private colleges or universities within Georgia, not including the University of Georgia. Participants will be selected based on their teaching experience, their interest in continuing instructional and professional development, their ability to make a positive impact on their campus, and a strong commitment by their home institution to release time and other forms of support for the duration of their participation in the program. Any full-time, regular faculty member can apply regardless of rank.
According to UGA’s Institute of Higher Education guidelines, each eligible university may submit two nominees for the Governor’s Teaching Fellowship Spring Symposium and two nominees for the Governor’s Teaching Fellowship Academic Year Symposia. The Faculty Center will solicit faculty, department chairs, and deans for nominees. A selection committee, composed of previous Governor’s Teaching Fellows, will select two faculty to submit a nomination package to the Governor’s Teaching Fellows Spring Symposium and will select two faculty to submit a nomination package to the Governor’s Teaching Fellowship Academic Year Symposia.
The Governor’s Teaching Fellows program was established by Zell Miller, governor of Georgia, 1991–1999, to provide Georgia’s higher education faculty with expanded opportunities for developing essential teaching skills. This program is offered through the Institute of Higher Education at the University of Georgia.
Please note that selected faculty will receive hotel accommodations and meals during the program.
GTF 2023 Spring Symposium (for faculty teaching in STEM disciplines)
To indicate your interest in participating in the 2023 Spring Symposium, please submit the following items to the 2023 Spring Symposium Application of Interest form:
- Letter of intent
- Current curriculum vitae
- 1-2 page teaching philosophy statement.
GTF 2023 Spring Symposium Timeline
- Call for Applications: February 9 – February 16, 2023
- GS Deadline to submit application: February 16, 2023
- Committee Review time period: February 17 – 20, 2023
- Notify GS Nominees: February 21, 2023
- Deadline to submit application to the Institute of Higher Education at UGA: February 24, 2023
GTF 2023 Spring Symposium Meeting Dates
- May 15–19, 2023
- Sample Summer Symposia Agenda
GTF 2023-2024 Academic Year Symposia (for all full-time faculty)
To indicate your interest in participating in the 2023-2024 Academic Year Symposia, please submit items to the 2023-2024 Academic Year Symposia Application of Interest form:
- Letter of intent.
- Current curriculum vitae
- A one-to two-page teaching philosophy statement
- A one-to two-page description of the course or project that is proposed for the fellowship year (for the Academic Year Symposium only) (see project suggestions)
GTF 2023-2024 Academic Year Program Symposia
- Call for Applications: February 9 – February 21, 2023
- GS Deadline to submit application: February 21, 2023
- Committee Review time period: February 22 – 24, 2023
- Notify GS Nominees: February 27, 2023
- Deadline to submit application to the Institute of Higher Education at UGA: March 1, 2023
Academic Year Symposia Meeting Dates
The meeting dates for the 2023–2024 Symposia have not yet been released. The following meeting dates from the 2022–2023 Symposia have been provided for your reference.
- September 7-9, 2022
- October 5-7, 2022
- November 9-11, 2022
- February 8-10, 2023
- March 8-10, 2023
- April 5-7, 2023
- Sample Annual Symposia Agenda
|2016||Denise Gwendolyn Carroll|
|2009-2010||Delena Bell Gatch|
|2004||Darin Van Tassell|
|2002||Ben Thompson IV|
|1995-1996||Olivia Carr Edenfield|
Last updated: 6/7/2023