Georgia Southern Faculty Development Awards
The Faculty Senate Faculty Development Committee is pleased to announce the availability of funding in support of faculty development activities by faculty members. Funded by the University, the programs are designed to provide time and resources for the enhancement of the teaching-learning process with emphasis directed toward classroom instruction. Requests may include conference registration and/or travel or supplies/materials/equipment for creative projects that affect the instructional process. Because of the budget cycle, reimbursement must be requested by June 1, 2023. Only expenses that can be prepaid by June 1, 2023 will be considered for activities that occur between January 1 – June 2, 2023.
All submissions will be reviewed by the Faculty Senate FDC committee in a blind review process.
All proposals must meet all of the stated requirements in order to ensure a fair and equitable evaluation of all applications. If your proposal does not meet all of these requirements, it will not receive consideration.
If the proposal involves the purchase of software or computer hardware, please forward a quote from your department’s IT representative in order to indicate that the technology would be approved for use on Georgia Southern campuses. In addition, when submitting your proposal, the technology being requested should be explained in a plain, accessible manner that is approachable without specialized knowledge. The members of the Faculty Development Committee come from a diverse collection of backgrounds and areas of expertise, so if your proposal is not comprehensible without knowledge of a specific type of technology, it may not be funded because the Committee may not understand how it represents appropriate faculty development.
- Proposal Deadline: January 10, 2023 by 5 PM
- Reimbursement Request Deadline: June 1, 2023
- Activity and/or payment must take place between January 1 – June 2, 2023
- Paid by June 2, 2023
- Full-time faculty members are eligible.
- Funding Limit: $2500
- Funding – projects may be partially or fully funded.
- Limit one proposal per faculty member per academic year.
- Members of FS FDC committee are not eligible for awards.
- To maintain the blind review process, the applicant should omit name/initials or names/initials of any other associated persons, including students from the proposal.
- Applicants may request funding for only one destination/event/project per academic year.
- Applicants may request funding only for themselves.
- Applicants are responsible for itemizing and justifying each expense on the budget.
- Activity should take place between January 1 – June 2, 2023.
- Requests for salary stipends will not be funded in this call.
- Requests for travel funds will be allowed per USG travel policy.
- Funding will only cover expenses as approved in the proposal and cannot be diverted to pay for anything else.
- Accepted proposals will submit a final report of activity.
- Review the scoring rubric.
- Review this best practices video when composing your proposal.
The application form includes the following prompts:
- Describe in detail information about the conference or project. Include learning outcomes for projects.
- Describe how this activity will contribute to your professional development as a teacher and/or teacher-scholar. Identify how the activity will fill professional gaps or address a professional need.
- Describe how this activity will strengthen the program/department/college’s ability to support student success and/or how it aligns with one of the university’s major initiatives.
- Budget Narrative – clear and specific explanation or justification of each item.
Submissions are closed at this time. Please check back here for future award opportunities.
Please note that the receipt of any award used for the development of creative and scholarly works and new materials, devices, processes, or other inventions which may have commercial potential is governed by the Georgia Southern University Intellectual Property Policy. University personnel are required to provide the Provost with a project disclosure on forms provided by the Office of Research Services and Sponsored Programs.
Previous Award Recipients
|Nalanda Roy||Political Science and International Studies||CBSS||Fall 2021||Conference|
|Jamie Scalera Elliott||International Studies||CBSS||Fall 2021||Conference|
|Jonathan Grubb||Criminal Justice & Criminology||CBSS||Fall 2021||Conference|
|Weitian Tong||Computer Science||CEC||Fall 2021||Project|
|Amanda Graham||Criminal Justice & Criminology||CBSS||Fall 2021||Conference|
|Caitlin Brady||Criminal Justice & Criminology||CBSS||Fall 2021||Conference|
|Stephanie Devine||Elementary and Special Education||COE||Fall 2021||Conference|
|Leigh Rich||Kinesiology||CHP||Fall 2021||Conference|
|Jeff Schmuki||Fine Arts||CAH||Fall 2021||Conference|
|Chun Hai Fung||Biostatistics, Epidemiology and Environmental Health Sciences||CPH||Fall 2021||Conference|
|Abby Brooks||Communication Arts||CAH||Fall 2021||Project|
|Hao Zhang||Information Technology||CEC||Fall 2021||Project|
|Kristina Thompson||Criminal Justice & Criminology||CBSS||Fall 2021||Conference|
|Melissa Cavins||Leadership, Technology, & Human Development||COE||Fall 2021||Project|
|Atin Adhikari||Biostatistics, Epidemiology and Environmental Health Sciences||CPH||Fall 2021||Project|
|Jacquelyn Mesenbrink||Biostatistics, Epidemiology and Environmental Health Sciences||CPH||Fall 2021||Conference|
|Jinki Kim||Mechanical Engineering||CEC||Fall 2021||Project|
Last updated: 1/24/2023