Inclusive Excellence Faculty and Staff Fellows
One of the five pillars of the Georgia Southern University Strategic Plan- People. Purpose. Action: Growing Ourselves to Grow Others, is Inclusive Excellence.
Achieving this goal will require the engagement and support of the entire Georgia Southern University community as we continue to cultivate an environment of belonging. The active participation of faculty and staff members will be especially vital in achieving Inclusive Excellence. As such, the Office of Inclusive Excellence is pleased to announce the creation of the Faculty and Staff Fellows for Inclusive Excellence. The Office of Inclusive Excellence is accepting applications for the inaugural cohort of Inclusive Excellence Faculty and Staff Fellows. Applicants should demonstrate a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
The Fellows, under the direction of the Associate Vice President for Inclusive Excellence and Chief Diversity Officer will lead the development and implementation of inclusive excellence initiatives.
The Office of Inclusive Excellence will compensate Fellows up to $3,000 per semester. For faculty, it is important to note that this fellowship opportunity will be considered overload compensation and that a course buyout is not an option. For staff, compensation is considered extra compensation. Compensation for faculty and staff are paid monthly for the contracted term.
Terms are granted on a semesterly basis, with a two-year maximum appointment beginning Fall 2020.
Responsibilities of the Fellow
1. Assist in the development of sustainable goals and strategies to increase faculty recruitment, retention, and advancement.
2. Actively ensure any programs in place to achieve the goals of faculty recruitment, retention, and advancement are supported and assess their impact.
3. Take the lead in conducting research on ‘best practices’ from other universities that have examined issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion. This will include cultivating relationships for the purposes of applying to Georgia Southern University those lessons learned with the goal of further enhancing a more inclusive university community.
4. Engage in strategic data collection from the faculty and administration in order to identify strategies to further cultivate and enrich an inclusive university community.
5. Develop, facilitate, and evaluate DEI related training for faculty, staff, and students.
All full-time tenured faculty who have achieved the rank of associate professor or professor and full-time non-tenure track faculty are eligible to apply.
All full-time, exempt staff who are in good standing in their home department are eligible to apply.
Evaluation of Applications
Applicants will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Commitment to inclusive excellence at Georgia Southern University
- Overall record and potential for leadership in Inclusive Excellence initiatives, including alignment with the focus of the respective fellowship
- Vision for Inclusive Excellence for Georgia Southern University and how serving in a Faculty and Staff Fellow role will contribute towards Georgia Southern University achieving this vision
The evaluation committee will consist of the Associate Vice President for Inclusive Excellence and Chief Diversity Officer, the President’s Diversity Advisory Council, and selected representatives from the Office of the Provost.
Applications must include the following, as a single PDF document:
- Letter (no longer than two pages) describing the applicant’s interest in a Fellowship, how their background and experiences align and support the focus of the Fellowship, and their goals for the Fellowship period and beyond. (uploaded to Qualtrics application via link provided below).
- 500-word statement on the specific aspects of diversity and inclusion that you are interested in leading and initial thoughts/ideas on efforts to develop and implement the initiative. (uploaded to Qualtrics application via link provided below).
- Current vita or resume (uploaded to Qualtrics application via link provided below).
- Endorsement letter from their department chair/school director/unit head or department manager/director (uploaded to Qualtrics application via link provided below).
Submission Process & Deadline
The application period for the 2020-21 academic year is now open.
Complete Qualtrics applications must be electronically received by the Office of Inclusive Excellence no later than 5:00 p.m. on August 3.
Questions about this program can be directed to Dr. TaJuan R. Wilson, Associate Vice President for Inclusive Excellence and Chief Diversity Officer (912-478-5018 or email@example.com).
Last updated: 7/1/2020