New Faculty Orientation 2020
Welcome to Georgia Southern!
Each year, the Provost’s office and the Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE) host New Faculty Orientation (NFO). Our mission is to provide resources and information regarding teaching and professional development. The Provost’s Office requires attendance at New Faculty Orientation for all faculty new to Georgia Southern University.
This year, NFO will have three required components, all virtual.
- Starting July 6, New Faculty will participate in a self-paced course touching on topics related to teaching at Georgia Southern and specific guidance on our Learning Management System (D2L branded as Folio). Register for Flex Ed: Adaptive Pedagogy for Unpredictable Paths here. New Faculty should complete this training by August 7.
- After July 30, New Faculty will participate in a “flipped” version of a typical New Faculty Orientation. This will be a self-paced course with information about important departments and resources at Georgia Southern including faculty support services, student services and employee perks at Georgia Southern. Register for New Faculty Orientation here. New faculty should complete this training no later than August 7.
- Orientation will conclude with a live, synchronous session Thursday afternoon, August 6.
In addition to the required events, CTE offers a number of optional training webinars. See our event calendar for the list of professional development opportunities.
For questions and assistance, please email the CTE at email@example.com or call 912-478-0049.
New Faculty Orientation Schedule
Opens July 6 | Flex Ed: Adaptive Pedagogy for Unpredictable Paths – in Folio – Asynchronous
Opens July 30 | Flipped NFO in Folio – Asynchronous
Thursday, August 6, 2020
10:00 am – 12:00 pm Folio Boot Camp (optional – webinar)
10:00 am – 12:00 pm CTE Open Lab Hours (optional – one-on-one consultations)
1:30 – 2:05 pm Welcome & Overview of NFO expectations
- 1:30 – 1:35 pm CTE
- 1:35 – 1:50 pm Dr. Marrero
- 1:50 – 2:05 pm Dr. Reiber
2:05 – 3:05 pm Workshop – Documenting and Planning for Professional Growth – Dr. Lauren Barbeau
3:05 – 3:45 pm Meet and Greet the Deans – Zoom breakout rooms
Friday, August 7, 2020
10:00 – 11:00 am Gradebook Workshop – Folio (optional – webinar)
2:30 – 3:30 pm CTE Perusall Workshop – Get Students to Do the Reading (optional – webinar)
1:00 – 5:00 pm CTE Open Lab Hours (optional – one-on-one consultations).
Highlights from New Faculty Orientation 2019.
Last updated: 9/29/2020