Teaching Online Courses Program
Contact the Center
for Teaching Excellence
The Teaching Online Courses (TOC) Program prepares and certifies faculty to deliver and design online courses at Georgia Southern University (GSU).
The TOC Program consists of three parts: a seven-week online workshop, a four-week course development practicum, and two face-to-face technical training workshops.
TOC Program Schedule
- Fall 2019 – Registration is closed.
- TOC Workshop: August 26-October 13 (7 weeks)
- TOC Design Practicum: October 28-November 17 (3 weeks)
- Spring 2020
- TOC Workshop: January 27 – March 15 (7 weeks)
- TOC Design Practicum: March 30 – April 19 (3 weeks)
- Summer 2020
- TOC Workshop: May 25 – June 28 (5 weeks)
TOC Design Practicum: July 13 – August 2 (3 weeks)
- Fall 2020
- TOC Workshop: August 24 – October 11 (7 weeks)
- TOC Design Practicum: October 26 – November 15 (3 weeks)
For special department training please contact the CTE at firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Online TOC Workshop
During the online TOC Workshop, participants discuss and address the challenges of teaching online, time management strategies, pedagogical models for course delivery and design, facilitating online engagement, using Quality Matters for quality assurance, and web accessibility. You may anticipate spending up to twenty-four hours to complete the workshop.
2. TOC Design Practicum
During the design practicum, faculty are paired with an instructional designer to help them build one online learning module that meets standards for quality course design. You may anticipate spending up to twelve hours to complete the practicum.
3. Technical Workshops
Two face-to-face, technical training workshops are needed to fulfill the final requirement and receive the TOC certificate. To sign up for technical workshops on your campus, please visit Folio Foundations Technical Workshops and search our Calendar. If you have questions about the technical training schedule, please contact your campus CTE.
- Folio Foundations: Building a Learning Module
- Folio Foundations: Gradebook
- Participants who complete all parts of the program at a satisfactory level receive a Teaching Online Courses Program certificate from the CTE.
- Our best estimate is that 40 hours will be needed to complete all three parts of the program.
- None. No prior online teaching experience is necessary.
- Stipends are not paid for completing the TOC Program.
Click Here to Register for Events
*Seats for the TOC Workshop and Program may be limited. Applicants will be notified of their status seven to ten days prior to the start of the event.
Last updated: 10/3/2019