Governor’s Teaching Fellows
The Governor’s Teaching Fellows Program was established by Zell Miller, governor of Georgia, 1991-1999, to provide Georgia’s higher education faculty with expanded opportunities for developing important teaching skills. The program is offered through the Institute of Higher Education at the University of Georgia.
The Governor’s Teaching Fellows Program is designed for faculty members who teach at accredited public or private colleges or universities, other than the University of Georgia, in the state of Georgia. Participants are selected on the basis of their teaching experience, their interest in continuing instructional and professional development, their ability to make a positive impact on their own campus, and a strong commitment by their home institution for release time and other forms of support for the duration of their participation in the program. Any full-time, regular faculty member can apply regardless of rank.
According to the guidelines at UGA’s Institute of Higher Education, each eligible university may submit two nominees for the Governor’s Teaching Fellowship. The Faculty Center will solicit nominees from faculty, department chairs and deans. A selection committee, composed of previous Governor’s Teaching Fellows, will select 2 faculty to submit a nomination package to the GTF Program.
Please Note: Participants receive a stipend for each day of full participation on campus to assist with travel expenses and meals. Lodging is provided by the Governor’s Teaching Fellows Program.
To indicate your interest in participating in the 2022-2023 Academic Year Program GTF program, please submit the following here:
There are no current GTF openings through 2023. Please check back here in October 2022 to apply for the next Summer session.
- A letter of intent.
- A current curriculum vitae.
- A 1-2 page teaching philosophy statement.
- A one-to two-page description of the course or project that will be the focus of the fellowship year (see project suggestions)
GTF 2022-2023 Academic Year Program Timeline
- Call for Applications: January 13 – February 9, 2022
- GS Deadline to submit application: February 9, 2022
- Committee Review time period: February 10 – 15, 2022
- Notify GS Nominees: February 16, 2022
- Deadline to submit application to the Institute of Higher Education at UGA: March 4, 2022
- September 7-9, 2022
- October 5-7, 2022
- November 9-11, 2022
- February 8-10, 2023
- March 8-10, 2023
- April 5-7, 2023
- Sample Annual Symposia Agenda
GTF 2022 Summer Session Timeline:
- Call for Applications: November 1 – Dec 8, 2021
- GS Deadline to submit application: Dec 8, 2021
- Committee Review time period: Dec 9 – 15, 2021
- Notify GS Nominees: Dec 17, 2021
- Deadline to submit application to the Institute of Higher Education at UGA: January 18, 2022
- May 16-20, 2022
- May 23-27, 2022
- Sample Summer Symposia Agenda
|1995-1996||Olivia Carr Edenfield|
|2002||Ben Thompson IV|
|2004||Darin Van Tassell|
|2009-2010||Delena Bell Gatch|
|2016||Denise Gwendolyn Carroll|
Last updated: 2/22/2022