What is Quality Matters?
Contact Peter Berryman
or (912) 478-0049
is a leader in quality assurance for online education and has received national recognition for its scalable, peer-based approach and continuous improvement in online education and student learning.
Central to Quality Matters is the Quality Matters Rubric, a set of 43 standards based on research and best practice used to improve the design of online courses. Download the QM Rubric — you will need to create a QM account.
How does Georgia Southern use Quality Matters?
Quality Matters and SACS-COC Accreditation
The SACS-COC Distance and Correspondence Education Policy Statement says that “Institutions must ensure that their distance and correspondence education courses and programs comply with the Principles of Accreditation.”
Quality Matters supports the following SACS-COC standards
Institutional Effectiveness: Core Requirements 2.5, Comprehensive Standards 3.3.1
- Is there evidence that the effectiveness of the distance education program is regularly assessed and steps taken for improvement of the program?
- Data is available demonstrating the effectiveness of the distance learning program.
- The institution demonstrates that it uses data to improve course/program offerings by distance education.
Educational Programs: Comprehensive Standard 3.4.10
- Faculty should play an appropriate role in academic oversight of distance education initiatives.
- There is consistency in course format.
Quality Matters Research
The Quality Matters Rubric is centered on relevant research and is based on a review of the literature, the expertise of experienced practitioners and existing standard sets. Each of the specific rubric standards is supported by literature from the field. A literature review is conducted for each new rubric edition that builds upon this core matrix.
Quality Matters Research Resources
Last updated: 9/19/2017