Career Resources for First Generation College Students
The Office of Career and Professional Development is committed to supporting First Generation College Students at all points of the career development process. Below are helpful resources specific to this population of students, including job search tips and employer-specific internship opportunities.
- First-Generation Foundation – connects first-generation college students to organizations and resources dedicated to helping first-generation students succeed.
- National Career Development Career Association on Career Services for First-Generation Students – A post from a first-generation college student – now career advisor at the University of Toledo on Career Services and First-Generation College Students.
- America Needs You is a professional organization that fights for economic mobility for ambitious, first-generation college students. They do this by providing transformative mentorship and intensive career development.
Employer-Specific Internship Opportunities
Employers and companies offer diversity initiatives and training. Look for programs that are aimed at your demographic, and you can gain professional development, leadership skills, networking opportunities, and internships.
- Capital One First Gen Focus First-Gen Focus is a program designed specifically for first-generation college students as part of Capital One’s broader effort to engage students earlier in their college careers to create access to financial education and skill-building workshops to help them be more successful in their college careers and beyond.
- First Generation Civil Rights Fellowship Program, or FirstGEN, advances first-generation college students committed to social justice. FirstGEN is a paid summer program for undergraduate students who are the first in their immediate families to attend college and who intend to pursue careers in social justice.
- Fortis Fellowship–Over three years, the Fellowship provides mentorship from high-level professionals, individualized internship and career advising, leadership training workshops, and access to a worldwide network of exceptional student leaders.
- Marketing EDGE First-Gen Virtual Mentoring Program–this program gives first-generation students connections to company executives, meaningful career explorations into the marketing and advertising industry, and enhanced professional development.
- The Performance Project–-First Generation brings together young adults ages 15-22 who self-identify as “first generation,” for artistic training, leadership development, and inter-generational mentoring.
- Year Up Partners with companies to provide opportunities for young adults to gain the skills, experiences, and support that will empower them to reach their potential through careers and higher education.
Last updated: 9/20/2022