Cost: $20 for 1st attempt; Retest: $10 for one exam; $20 for two or more exams
Georgia Southern Student Remote: $10
Non-Georgia Southern Student Remote Testing: $25
On-Campus Testing: Schedule By Appointment Only Monday through Friday, based on availability
Remote Campus Testing: Testing at another campus testing center
Remote Virtual Testing: Testing is offered through B-Virtual (available 24/7)
All options must still be scheduled through the Georgia Southern Office of Testing Services.
It is recommended examinees must schedule their appointment at least two weeks prior to their desire test date and at least one week prior to orientation to allow for retest opportunities.
Payment by Credit Card or Web Check: Payment for the exam can be received through a credit card, debit card, or web check at the Office of Testing Services Marketplace. You must pay prior to testing. If you have any questions concerning paying on-line, please contact the office at 912-478-5415.
The Elementary Algebra test, comprised of 12 questions, measures your ability to perform basic algebraic operations and to solve problems involving elementary algebraic concepts. There are three types of Elementary Algebra questions:
- Operations with integers and rational numbers: topics include computation with integers and negative rationals, the use of absolute values, and ordering.
- Operations with algebraic expressions: topics include the evaluation of simple formulas and expressions, adding and subtracting monomials and polynomials, multiplying and dividing monomials and polynomials, the evaluation of positive rational roots and exponents, simplifying algebraic fractions, and factoring.
- Solution of equations, inequalities, word problems: topics include solving linear equations and inequalities, solving quadratic equations by factoring, solving verbal problems presented in an algebraic context, including geometric reasoning and graphing, and the translation of written phrases into algebraic expressions.
The Reading Comprehension test, comprised of 20 questions, measures your ability to understand what you read, to identify main ideas and to make inferences. You need to distinguish between direct statements and secondary or supporting ideas.
The WritePlacer test measures your ability to write effectively, which is critical to academic success. Your writing sample will be scored on the basis of how effectively it communicates a whole message to the readers for the stated purpose. Your score is based on your ability to express, organize and support your opinions and ideas, not the position you take on the essay topic. The following five characteristics of writing will be considered:
- Focus: The clarity with which you maintain your main idea or point of view
- Organization: The clarity with which you structure your response and present a logical sequence of ideas
- Development and Support: The extent to which you elaborate on your ideas and the extent to which you present supporting details
- Sentence Structure: The effectiveness of your sentence structure
- Mechanical Conventions: The extent to which your writing is free of errors in usage and mechanics
Before you come to take the ACCUPLACER exam, you may want to brush up on some of your skills. It is very important that you take this test seriously and come prepared to do your best. Even though the SAT or ACT can be taken several times, the ACCUPLACER exam can be taken only twice. Your scores on this exam will determine whether or not you place into our Learning Support program.
Use this link to learn more about the ACCUPLACER from the official College Board, Inc ACCUPLACER website for test preparation materials. For the math, you will want to complete the Elementary Algebra sections. ACCUPLACER has an app you can download to access tests and guides; printable study guides; and more detailed information on the three exams you may take.
ACCUPLACER Official Study Guides
ACCUPLACER Study App
Assessment Basics & ACCUPLACER Related Sites: (Remember to select Elementary Algebra.)
Mometrix Academy ACCUPLACER page
Test Preview – ACCUPLACER page
Union Test Prep
College Websites Multiple Preparation
Algebra Review & Exercises (Remember to select Elementary Algebra – There are no fractions on the exam.)
Major Tests (Use Critical Reading & Writing for the SAT)
English Grammar Guide
Writing Exercise & Reading
Purdue Online Writing Lab
Georgia Southern ACCUPLACER Retest Policy
All students are allowed to take a ACCUPLACER retest.
Only one ACCUPLACER retest per year (this means the test can be taken no more than twice in one year). The Coordinator of Testing Services may request a retest be given to a student if an unfair testing situation occurred (such as computer problems or student became ill while taking test).
Picture Identification Required for ALL Tests
Please make sure you bring an acceptable ID
Acceptable IDs are: a valid state driver’s license, student ID, or passport.
(Not accepted: check cashing cards, picture credit cards, club cards with pictures, etc.)
For additional information, please contact:
|Office of Testing Services- Statesboro|
Cone Hall Room 2031 | PO Box 8132
2254 Southern Drive
Statesboro, GA 30460-8132
| ||Office of Testing Services - Savannah (Armstrong Campus)
Memorial College Center, Room 206
11935 Abercorn Street
Savannah, GA 31419