Camp Blue Skies at Camp Twin Lakes 2018
Program Dates: Sunday, March 11 to Friday, March 16, 2018
Application and Payment Deadline: Monday, November 13, 2017
To Apply, Click Here: The application is now closed. (see note on applicants at bottom of page)
To Make Payments, Click Here: The application is now closed. (you will need to click to the Camp Twin Lakes option)
The University Honors Program is sponsoring an Alternative Break Trip for the upcoming March 2016 Spring Break at Camp Twin Lakes in Rutledge, GA. Camp Twin Lakes is a network of camps for children and families with serious illnesses, disabilities, and other challenges. Participants in this Alternative Break Trip will work with the staff at Camp Twin Lakes and the staff and volunteers at Camp Blue Skies, a camp for adults with developmental disabilities. Students will have roles as cabin counselors and activity leaders. Read about Camp Twin Lakes at http://www.camptwinlakes.org/ and about Camp Blue Skies at http://www.campblueskies.org/
Participants will be led by Dr. Jerri Kropp, professor of child and family development, Dr. Brent Wolfe, professor of recreation and tourism management, Mr. Dan Matthews, director of camping services at Camp Twin Lakes, and Mr. Richard Sesler, director of Camp Blue Skies.
Watch our video about this experience:
Dates for Camp and Meetings:
Leave campus 12:00 noon Sunday, March 11 and return evening Friday, March 16, 2017, and arrive at Camp Twin Lakes by 3:00 p.m.
Please note: There are several mandatory pre-trip, in-trip, and post-trip meetings. Students who participate on the trip must attend all meetings. The UPDATED dates for these meetings are:
- Wednesday, January 17, 6:00-9:00 p.m. at Eidson House. At this meeting participants will learn about Camp Twin Lakes and Camp Blue Skies. Pizza and drinks will be provided.
- Friday to Saturday, February 9-10, at Camp Twin Lakes. This will be an orientation at the camp and students will meet representatives from Camp Twin Lakes and Camp Blue Skies. Students will get a tour of the camp, have meals, and go through on-site volunteer orientation to prepare for the week in March. We will leave campus Friday afternoon and return by Saturday mid-late afternoon.
- Thursday, March 8, 6:00-9:00 p.m at Eidson House. This meeting is the final meeting before camp. In addition to discussing camp and what to expect, we will finalize transportation plans and packing lists.
- All students MUST attend daily check-in meetings during the week of camp. These will take place after lunch.
- Thursday, March 22, 6:00-9:00 p.m. at Eidson House. This is the first of three debriefing meetings after camp. (Potluck dinner to be arranged.)
- Thursday, April 12, 6:00-9:00 p.m. at Eidson House. This is the second of three debriefing meetings after camp. (Potluck dinner to be arranged.)
- Friday, April 27, 6:00-9:00 p.m. Cookout at Dr. Brent Wolfe’s house. Final wrap up and fun! Details forthcoming.
Participants will stay in cabins at Camp Twin Lakes.
Students will have to transport themselves to Rutledge, GA, a three-hour drive away. Carpooling will be arranged for on-site training and for the week of camp.
Meals are covered at the camp.
Cost: $175 covers lodging and meals at the camp, the meals and lodging at the overnight training, and dinner at the first meeting on campus. Full payment is due with application by Monday, November 13, 2017. (If you are not chosen from the trip, refunds will be made immediately. If you are selected for the trip but withdraw, no refund will be made.)
Application Deadline: Monday, November 13, 2017. Full payment of $175 is also due by this date. Students will be notified of acceptance by Late December.
Please note: We are seeking a variety of students across majors and years as well as a good mix of new students and returners. Previous experience on this trip or with adults with developmental disabilities is not necessary. And previous experience on the trip is not a guarantee of selection this year. This trip can take a maximum of 20 students, but organizers may select fewer.
For more information, contact Dr. Francis Desiderio at firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: 5/18/2018