One of the ways the honors experience differs from the traditional university experience is through the honors experiential learning component. A hallmark of the University Honors Program involves bringing ideas to life. As a result, Honors students are required to participate in at least one experiential learning project per year to enhance their undergraduate education.
The University Honors Program maintains a variety of options for students to fulfill the Experiential Learning Requirement. Most projects fall under three categories: Academic, Service, and Leadership.
Students should investigate which project is appropriate for them and make arrangements as early as possible in the fall semester. Registration for all projects-including ones that will take place in the spring-will occur via an emailed survey early in the fall semester. A second survey in late spring will be used for the reflection process.
Summary of steps:
- Students decide on their project.
(First-year students will complete the project as part of their FYE courses.)
- Students will fill out Experiential Learning Project Registration Survey sent to them by the University Honors Program via Survey Monkey. Completion of the survey is mandatory. All surveys will be complete by September 30.
- Students will work on their project over the course of the year.
- In late spring all students will complete the Experiential Learning Project Reflection Survey sent to them by the University Honors Program via Survey Monkey. Completion of the survey is mandatory. All surveys will be complete by April 16.
- Students will also arrange with their project supervisor for a letter of verification of the project’s completion to be sent to the University Honors Program by April 30.
- Failure to complete any of these steps may result in removal from the University Honors Program.
PLEASE NOTE: Some experiences–especially volunteer experiences working with children–require a background check. Students in need of a background check may get one for free at this link: https://background.
Students will then enter their personal information and their electronic signature. Then they will receive a date/time stamped receipt, and their background check will be emailed to them in about two weeks time.
Last updated: 2/1/2016