One of the ways the honors experience differs from the traditional university experience is through the honors experiential learning component. A hallmark of the University Honors Program involves bringing ideas to life. As a result, Honors students are required to participate in at least one experiential learning activity per year to enhance their undergraduate education. The University Honors Program maintains a variety of options for students to fulfill the Experiential Learning Requirement. Most activities fall under three categories:
Students should investigate which activity is appropriate for them and make arrangements as early as possible in the fall semester. Registration for all activities—including ones that will take place in the spring—will occur via an emailed survey early in the fall semester. A second survey in late spring will be used for the reflection process.
Summary of steps:
- Students decide on their activity.
(First-year students will complete the activity as part of their FYE courses.)
- Students will fill out Experiential Learning Activity Project Registration Survey sent to them by the University Honors Program via Qualtrics. Completion of the survey is mandatory. All surveys will be complete by September 30.
- Students will work on their activity over the course of the year.
- In late spring all students will complete the Experiential Learning Activity Reflection Survey sent to them by the University Honors Program via Qualtrics. Completion of the survey is mandatory. All surveys will be complete by April 16.
- Failure to complete any of these steps may result in removal from the University Honors Program.
Note for first-year students: During their first year, students will typically complete a project designed and maintained by their Honors First-Year Seminar. (The Program will provide various options for students in Honors FYE classes without a set project.) First-year students will complete all the steps listed above during the fall semester. The registration survey is due on September 30 and the reflection survey is due by the last day of fall classes.
Note for fall semester graduates: If you begin your final semester with one last experiential learning activity to complete, then you must complete it during your final semester. A reflection survey will be sent in mid November and due by 5:00 pm the Monday after Thanksgiving break.
Note on summer projects: Students may complete activities in the summer that will count for the following academic year’s requirement. A registration survey for summer experiences is distributed in May. Students complete activities in the summer. The reflection survey is distributed in August and due September 1.
Last updated: 7/16/2018