About Echo 360
Echo360 Lecture Capture is a technology that increases retention for your students by recording everything you project and say in your classroom. Recordings are then posted online for students to review at their leisure, on a variety of devices.
Here's a short video highlighting some examples of how to use Echo 360 in your classroom. Note the variety of media formats and publishing options. Note: If the video does not load, click here to watch it on YouTube instead.
- Use as a study aid to review for tests and exams by perusing previous lecture content.
- Allow students to "catch up" with content they may have missed while taking notes, ill, or simply out of class.
- Make better use of your limited class time. Pre-record your lectures and use class time for discussion & other activities.
- Eliminate costly classroom time reviewing previous questions and comments from students who miss class.
NEW! Not sure of the benefits? Read this nationwide survey on student opinion!
How it Works
Faculty interested in Echo360 can access it in two ways: Appliance Capture and Personal Capture. Each method has its unique advantages. Sign Up for Echo360
Appliance Capture uses an Echo hardware device that records video, audio, and computer display based on a schedule. It is available in the select rooms listed below. The process is as follows:
- If you teach in one of the rooms below, you can request to have your lectures captured via this Echo360 Request Form.
- Once confirmed, the you attend an orientation session and recieve a wireless microphone for your individual use.
- A recording schedule is created based on your class schedule and preferences.
- You teach in the room as normal but now wear a microphone during recording time. No other action is required, really!
- Link to media is published via GeorgiaVIEW or automatically emailed to you, or both. You can choose additional distribution methods such as email, RSS feeds, etc.
- The recording schedule can be modified upon request in the event of holidays or class cancellations.
Is this right for you? Appliance Capture is a great solution if:
- You teach a course in one of the following rooms: Hendricks Hall (COPH) 3001, Art 2071, CIT 3206, MPP 2021, Hollis 2102, COBA 1111, COE 1115, Nursing/Chemistry 1007, Nursing/Chemistry 1008, Nursing Chemistry 3240, Newton 2204
- You want to teach and forget about it. With Appliance Capture, you simply provide your schedule, teach with a microphone on, and the rest is done automatically.
- You don't mind Echo recording your entire session.
Personal Capture gives you more control over the time, place, input, and duration of the capture. With Personal Capture, you can capture your screen, voice, and web-cam from any computer you wish - even your office or home computer. You can then make basic edits to the video (trimming or cutting parts) and upload to the Echo system when you are ready. The process is as follows:
- If you are interested in Personal Capture from any computer, fill out this Echo360 Request Form
- Once confirmed, the you attend an orientation session. Based on your needs, you may receive a wireless microphone, headset, or web camera for capture use.
- You then install the Personal Capture software on the machine(s) of your choosing. We can assist you with installation if desired.
- When you wish capture, simply start the Personal Capture software and begin. Stop the capture when you are done.
- When you are ready, you can submit the capture to the Echo server, which will automatically produce and post your lecture, podcast, or vodcast for you.
Is this right for you? Personal Capture is a great solution if:
- You want to capture just parts of your class session, and wish to control the start/stop points
- You want to capture lectures at home, in your office, or in a room without an Echo Appliance
- You want to capture smaller segments or mini-lessons and have greater control over the publishing.
Why are we implementing lecture capture?
The current system has been funded through Student Technology Fee dollars. Student representatives from each college have asked that it be brought to campus for allowing lecture capture.
What do I have to do or learn to record?
Very little. For the Appliance Capture, the only requirement of you in the classroom is that you turn on and wear the microphone so that audio will be recorded. For Personal Capture, you need to learn some basic controls with the software, but you can master it in minutes.
How do students get the content?
A link can be posted automatically inside of GeorgiaVIEW, or you can have the link emailed to you. In the latter, you then decide how/when you distribute access. The link itself is the only current method students would have for obtaining access to the content. Once they access the link, the content will play on their computer, tablet, or mobile device.
Do I have to release each and every lecture? What if I want to skip one?
Due to the administrative overhead, we will automatically schedule every lecture to occur as scheduled, however, you may manually choose to remove the link inside GeorgiaVIEW, or decide not to distribute the link(s).
If the form does not load below, please click here to go the Echo360 Request Form form.
Office Number: (912) 478-0667
Office Number: (912) 478-7677