Certificate: Innovations in Teaching
This certificate is geared to faculty who are always on the lookout for innovative, research-based ideas to enhance their course design and instructional strategies. As part of this certificate, you will engage with current literature in Higher Education, participate in professional development opportunities, and create and assess teaching materials for your own course based on innovative pedagogical ideas and practices.
This program includes participation in a book discussion group where you will read and discuss a book or series of articles in a community of peers; you will have the opportunity to select a topic of interest from among several book groups offered each semester. By attending a minimum of 3 workshops offered through the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL), you will also gain an insight into other topics relevant in Higher Education. A teaching observation and midterm student feedback consultation will give you constructive, confidential feedback on specific aspects of your pedagogical practice and provide you with an opportunity to discuss your ideas for incorporating innovative strategies into your class.
Upon completing this certificate, you will be able to:
- Identify and implement innovative teaching practices relevant to your teaching context
- Evaluate your own teaching in the context of current literature
- Develop and/or modify research-based teaching strategies for effective instruction
- Complement your Teaching Portfolio with an innovative teaching activity/assignment and a reflective narrative on your implementation experience
- Attend and participate in all (4) sessions of a CT2 Reading Discussion Group; choose from a selection of books offered each semester
- Attend and participate in three (3) additional CTL workshops
- Complete all required assignments; specifically, submission of
- Teaching activity/ assignment based on ideas discussed during the CT2 events
- Written reflection on the implementation and assessment of this activity
- Complete Teaching Observation and Midterm Student feedback with a CT2 colleague
- Exit interview and submission of a one-page reflection on your learning experience while completing the certificate program
- See the certificate checklist
- All requirements must be completed within 12 months of the start date.
Last updated: 7/31/2017