Armstrong State University, part of the University System of Georgia, was founded in 1935 as Armstrong Junior College to enhance higher educational opportunities in the community. The college was established by the mayor and aldermen of the City of Savannah and housed in the Italian Renaissance Armstrong House, a gift to the city from the family of George F. Armstrong. Over the years the college occupied six additional buildings in the Forsyth Park and Monterey Square areas.
In 1959, as Armstrong College of Savannah, it became a two-year unit of the University System of Georgia. The Board of Regents conferred four-year status on Armstrong State College in 1964. Two years later the college moved to its present 268-acre site, a gift from the Mills B. Lane Foundation and Donald Livingston. Additional buildings joined the six original structures as Armstrong added professional and graduate programs and quadrupled in size. Fifty-seven percent of the student population comes from outside the Savannah-Chatham County area including Georgia, the nation, and more than 70 countries.
Armstrong State University offers more than seventy-five academic programs and majors in the College of Arts and Sciences, College of Education, College of Health Professions, School of Computing, and School of Graduate Studies. The academic community includes more than 6,700 students, 405 full- and part-time faculty members, and a staff of 357. “Armstrong State University has been accredited as a senior institution by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools since January 1, 1968, and was last re-accredited in December 2002.
For more information about Armstrong State University please visit their website at: armstrong.edu