The Manufacturing Engineering (MfgE) curriculum is hands-on and career-oriented. Students gain broad, practical knowledge in the major areas of Manufacturing Engineering. Manufacturing engineers work closely with mechanical, electrical and other engineers as a member of the design team to ensure the manufacturability of the product while considering recycling and other aspects of the product life cycle. They also concentrate on the facilities, equipment, processes and methods necessary for the efficient and safe production of products in a globally competitive environment. Manufacturing engineers direct and coordinate the processes for transforming materials into products and guide the design, and conduct analysis and modification of product design to ensure the viability of the design for manufacturability.
- Bachelor of Science in Manufacturing Engineering
- Master of Science in Applied Engineering
- Concentrations: Advanced Manufacturing Engineering, Engineering Management, Graduate Certificate in Engineering & Manufacturing Management, Graduate Certificate in Occupational Safety & Environmental Compliance
- Aerospace Engineer
- Engineer Manager
- Engineering Technologist
- Systems Engineer
- Sales Engineer
- Process Engineer
- Project Engineer
- Design Engineer
- Field Service
- Machine and Product Design
- Energy Exploration
- Product Systems Evaluation
- Production Supervision
- Engineer Technician
- Plant Operation/ Management
- Product Development
- Systems Engineer
Sample Work Settings
- Government Agencies
- Consulting Engineering Firms
- Utility companies
- Private Laboratories
- Industrial Firms
- Manufacturing firm
- Gulfstream Aerospace
- Georgia-Pacific LLC
- Southern Nuclear
- Georgia Power Company
- Southern Company
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- SNF Holding Company
- Great Dane
- Textron Specialized Vehicles
- US Army
- Lockheed Martin
- US Navy
- Delta Air Lines
- PCC Airfoils
- NASA – National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- Pratt & Whitney
- Mitsubishi Power Systems Americas
- Nordson Adhesive Dispensing Systems
- Eagle Motorsports
- Eaton – Lighting
- Daniel Defense, Inc.
Connecting Majors, Skills, and Occupations
- View learning outcomes associated with your major in the Georgia Southern Academic Catalog:
- Explore the connection between occupations and skills in O*Net:
- Use Handshake to upload your résumé and explore internships and jobs. For more information:
To explore values, interests, and skills:
FOCUS 2 bit.ly/focuscareer
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) – $15
Self Directed Search – $15
To explore occupational outlooks and salaries:
National Compensation Survey
National Association of College and Employers (NACE)
Association of Energy Engineers
Georgia Southern Student Organizations
Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME)
Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
- Complete a Manufacturing Engineering internship/co-op.
- Join a student organization.
- Seek out research opportunities.
- Include ABET accreditation in the Education section if you are obtaining an undergraduate degree.
- Include project experiences such as capstone projects.
- Include technical skills such as SolidWorks, AutoCAD, & ANSYS.
- Include professional associations such as SME.
Last updated: 9/21/2022